College of Resources and Environment
2 Tiansheng Road
Beibei, Chongqing, 400715, P.R. China.
Phone: +86 -23- 68251249
Fax: +86 -23- 68250444
B.Sc. in Soil Chemistry and Plant Nutrition, Southwest Agricultural University, Chongqing 1987~1991
M.Sc. in Soil Science, Southwest Agricultural University, Chongqing 1995-1998
Ph.D. in Soil Chemistry, Institute of Soil Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Nanjing, 1998-2001
Professor, Southwest University, since 2005
Associate Professor, Southwest University, 2004-2005
Post-doc and visiting scientist, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, 2003-2004
Assistant Professor, Institute of Soil Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Nanjing, 2001-2004
Tillage effects on soil structure and function
Interaction between soil microbial communities and nutrient availability
Nitrogen transformations in cropping systems
Sustainable rice production
Research Projects and Founding
Soil surface reaction and its role in soil nitrification, Natural Science Foundation of China, 2013-2016.
Nutrients cycling in paddy soil, Foundation of Ministry of Science & Technology, China, 2010-2013
Effects of soil particle surface electrochemical properties on soil N transformation in acid soils. Natural Science Foundation of China, 2008-2011.
Spatial distribution of microbes in soil aggregates, Natural Science Foundation of China, 2006-2008.
Recent peer-reviewed international publications
1. Huang X, Zhao J, Su J, Jia Z, Shi X, Wright A L, Barker X, Jiang X*. 2018. Neutrophilic bacteria are responsible for autotrophic ammonia oxidation in an acidic forest soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 119:83-89.
2. Wang Z, Meng Y, Zhu-Barker X, He X, Horwath W, Luo H, Zhao Y, Jiang X*. 2018. Responses of nitrification and ammonia oxidizers to a range of background and adjusted pH in purple soils. Geoderma 334:9-14.
3. Xin X., Wright A. L., He Z., Jiang X.*. 2017. Manganese oxide affects nitrification and N2O emissions in a subtropical paddy soil with variable water regimes. European Journal of Soil Science, 68: 749-757.
4. Huang X, Zhu-Barker X, William R. H, Faeflen S J., Luo H, Xin X, Jiang X*. 2016. Effect of iron oxide on nitrification in two agricultural soils with different pH. Biogeosciences 13: 5609-5617.
5. Xin X., Jiang X.*, J. Su, X. Yan, J. Ni, S. J. Faeflen, X. Huang, A. L. Wright. 2016. Manganese oxide affects nitrification and ammonia oxidizers in subtropical and temperate acid forest soils. Catena 137, 24-30.
6. Huang X, Li H, Li S, Xiong H, Jiang X. 2016. Role of cationic polarization in humus–increased soil aggregate stability. European Journal of Soil Science 67, 341−350.
7. Faeflen S.J., Jiang X. *, Li S., Xin X., Wright A.L.. 2016. Autotrophic and heterotrophic nitrification in a highly acidic subtropical pine forest soil. Pedosphere 26: 904-910.
8. Dou F., Wright A. L., Mylavarapu R. S., Jiang X., Matocha J. E.. 2016. Soil Enzyme Activities and Organic Matter Composition Affected by 26 Years of Continuous Cropping. Pedosphere 26: 618-625.
9. Jiang X. *, Xin X., Li S., Zhou J., Zhu T., Müller C., Cai Z., Wright A.L.. 2015. Effects of Fe oxide on N transformations in subtropical acid soils. Scientific Reports 5: 8615
10. Jiang X. *, Hou X., Zhou X., Xin X., Wright A.L. and Jia Z.. 2015. pH regulates key players of nitrification in paddy soils. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 81: 9-16
11. Li S., Jiang X. *, Wang X., Wright A.L.. 2015. No-till effects on soil nitrification and the dynamic changes in nitrifying microorganisms in a subtropical rice-based ecosystem: A long-term field study. Soil & Tillage Research 150: 132-138
12. Xin X., Jiang X*. Liu Q., Liu W., and Wright A.L. 2014. Distribution of nitrifiers and nitrification associated with different sizes of aggregates along a 2000 year chronosequence of rice cultivation. Catena 119, 71-77.
13. Jiang X*., Liu Q, Liu W, Jia Z, Wright A L, Cao Z. 2013. Soil N mineralization, nitrification and dynamic changes in abundance of ammonia-oxidizing bacteria and archaea along a 2000 year chronosequence of rice cultivation. Plant & Soil 365, 59-68.
14. Jiang X*, Shi X and Wright A.L. 2013. Seasonal variability of microbial biomass associated with aggregates and variable tillage: a long-term field study in a subtropical rice-based ecosystem. European Journal of Soil Biology, 56, 84-88.
15. Liu, X., Li, H., Du, W., Tian, R., Li, R. and Jiang X. 2013. Hofmeister effects on cation exchange equilibrium: quantification of ion exchange selectivity. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117, 6245-6251.
16. Jiang X*, Ma Y, Yuan J and Wright A.L. 2011. Soil surface electrochemical property effects on abundance of ammonia-oxidizing bacterial and ammonia-oxidizing archaeal community, NH4+ activity and net nitrification in an acid soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 43, 2215-2221.
17. Jiang X*, Shi X, Liu W, Wright A.L. 2011. Kinetics of net nitrification associated with soil aggregates under conventional and no-tillage in a subtropical rice soil. Plant & Soil 347: 305-312.
18. Jiang X*, Wright A.L. Wang X. and Liang F. 2011. Long-term tillage effects on soil biomass and fungal: bacterial dominance associated with water stable aggregates. Applied Soil Ecology 48: 168-173.
19. Jiang X*., Hu Y, Bedell J.H., Xie D. and Wright A.L. 2011. Soil organic carbon and nutrient content in aggregate-size fractions of a subtropical rice soil under variable tillage. Soil Use and Management, 27: 28-35.
20. Jiang X*, Wright A.L, Wang J and Li Z. 2011. Long-term tillage effects on the distribution patterns of microbial biomass and activities within soil aggregates. Catena, 87, 276-280.